Why do you want to build a mobile application?
It’s a good question, right? Why do I want to build a mobile application? Why do WE want to build a mobile application? The answers may be vast and varied, but in the end, your main reason should center around this main tenant: It’s fun.
Mobile applications, like all aspects of technology, seek to extend our own human abilities. We use Facebook to connect with our friends and family, we use Instagram and Twitter to see and read more about the world around us. Mobile applications are not magic. They won’t give you the instant ability to speak every language in the world, they won’t turn you into a ninja within a quick 1 second download like Neo in the Matrix. Or will they?
Regardless, when building a mobile application you should know some very important facts.
- It will take time.
- You do not necessarily need a novel, never-before-seen idea, but instead you can build an existing idea better.
- If you’re not technical by nature, you better partner with a technical person, or become a technical person yourself.
- If you’re not a designer by nature, you better partner with a designer or become a designer yourself.
- You will need supreme stamina.
- You will need (some) business acumen.
- You will need to maintain your sense of humor.
But remember, building a mobile application is the same as building a startup, which is the same as building a company. It is a marathon, not a sprint.
In the end, you should embark on this process ONLY because you think it’s fun, exciting, creative, etc. NOT because you want to make money.